What are fleas & ticks?
Fleas and ticks are ectoparasites that feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals like dogs, cats, rodents, wild animals, and sometimes people.
Unfortunately for us, fleas and ticks are a common sight in our yards and sometimes our homes! The hot, humid weather in Texas allows fleas and ticks to thrive throughout much of the year.
The flea is a wingless insect that is no bigger than a speck of dirt. It has a short life of just a few months and spends most of it on the back of an animal host. These pests can breed in outdoor and indoor spaces.
The two types of fleas we deal with in our area are the dog flea and the most widespread flea, the cat flea.
Ticks feed on different hosts throughout their life and require a new host at each new life cycle — larva, nymph, and adult. A tick’s life cycle can take up to three years, depending on environmental conditions. Most ticks can only breed outdoors and are mainly a threat in our yards.
The most problematic tick species in our area are black-legged ticks (deer ticks) and lone star ticks.
Are fleas & ticks dangerous?
Fleas and ticks are certainly a danger when living in large numbers on our Texas properties.
Some of the biggest dangers they are known for are listed below:
- Ticks are vectors of serious pathogens that can make people ill, including Lyme disease (black-legged ticks).
- While it isn’t a huge threat in the U.S., fleas can also spread diseases that can make us ill.
- Flea bites leave red itchy welts on people and animals, and those with a severe allergy often develop itchy dermatitis. Scratching at the bites can lead to scabbing and scarring.
- Flea and tick bites create an opening in the skin that can result in a secondary infection.
Where will I find fleas & ticks?
Fleas and ticks hang out in areas where there is a lot of animal activity. Wooded areas, trails, fields, parks, and our yards are some of their preferred habitats.
In our yards, fleas and ticks like to hide in dark, damp areas:
- Spaces under decks and shrubs
- Under leaf piles or grass piles
- In tall grass or weeds
- Under areas of dense mulch
- Under woodpiles
- Places where pets lay or spend a lot of time
In our homes, fleas like to hide in dark crevices they find within bedding, upholstered furniture, rugs, and things like folded towels and linens.
Why do I have a flea & tick problem?
Fleas and ticks are pests commonly associated with pet owners, but the reality is that any home, whether pets are present or not, can become infested with these parasites.
Fleas and ticks are difficult to control and a regular pest problem because animals continuously introduce them. Wild animals and even your neighbor’s pets can bring fleas and ticks into your yard as they travel.
Fleas are more problematic in our homes than ticks, as most ticks can’t reproduce indoors. Fleas, however, can create large difficult to manage populations in our homes. Some of the most common ways fleas move into our homes are listed below.
- Fleas often jump onto people or pets when we spend time outside, and then we unintentionally transport them inside.
- Rodents and other wild animals that have moved into your home to nest are often the root cause of a flea infestation.
- Secondhand furniture and rugs infested with fleas also cause indoor infestations.
How do I get rid of fleas & ticks?
Fleas and ticks often are transported to our Seguin, TX properties by wild animals. The easiest way to control these biting pests and take back your property from them is by partnering with the flea and tick control professionals at Daniel Pest Control.
We will inspect your property, identify the fleas and ticks present, and work with you to create a treatment plan specific to your property and its unique needs. Our professionals will work around your budget and your busy schedule. With our home pest control offerings, you will have peace of mind knowing that your pest problems will be a thing of the past!
Contact us today to learn more about our 100% guaranteed pest control services for your Seguin property!
How can I prevent fleas & ticks in the future?
The following tips and tricks will help you keep fleas and ticks from becoming permanent residents on your Texas property.
- Seal openings in your home’s exterior walls that rodents and other tick and flea-covered wild animals could enter.
- Remove dark, damp hiding spots from your yard by getting rid of leaf piles, cutting back shrubs and bushes, and leaving a barrier between any mulch and your home’s exterior walls.
- Keep your lawn cut short and avoid overwatering it. The drier the soil, the less attractive it will be to fleas and ticks.
- Always inspect yourself and pets for fleas and ticks before going inside after spending time outdoors, especially in wooded or grassy areas.
- Regularly vacuum your house to pick up stray fleas and ticks.
Daniel Pest Control Blog
Bed bugs are creepy, but worse than that, they’re dangerous. Know how to spot them and how to stop them, in Seguin, TX with help from Daniel Pest Control.Read More
Fleas may seem harmless and small, but they can be dangerous! Learn more about them and how, with Daniel Pest Control’s help, you can prevent them.Read More
There are many different types of rodents that live here in Seguin. We have large rodents, medium rodents, and small rodents.Read More